(Ithaca, NY) – Holiday safety is an issue that burns brightest at this time of the year when families gather and parties are scheduled. By taking some basic precautions, you can ensure your family and guests remain safe and injury-free throughout the season:
Only use holiday decorations that are flame-retardant or not flammable.
Check holiday lights each year for frayed wires or excessive wear.
Only use indoor lights indoors and outdoor lights outdoors.
Don’t link together more than three strands of holiday lights.
Never leave a burning candle unattended. Better yet, consider using battery-operated flameless candles.
Keep your live Christmas tree away from heat sources and room exits.
Water your live Christmas tree daily to keep it from becoming dry.
Use a screen on your fireplace at all times when a fire is burning.
Develop and practice a fire escape plan. Know where to meet outside your home.
Make sure you have a working smoke alarm on every level of your home, and outside all sleeping areas.
Cooking is the main cause of home fires and home fire injuries. Stay in the kitchen when cooking at high temperatures, like frying, broiling or boiling. If you see any smoke or the grease starts to boil, turn the burner off.
For additional information, contact your local fire department or visit www.TompkinsReady.org.
Contact: Geoff Dunn, Community Preparedness Coordinator, 607-257-3888.