John Simon | Posted 4 months ago.
Inspired by a pair of requests that came in - and thinking about John Lennon's tribute next Thursday (12/8).
* = telephone requests
* Stand By Me - John Lennon (from 1975's LP "Rock 'n' Roll")
* Mull of Kintyre - Paul McCartney & Wings (November '77 - a B-side here, a giant hit in England)
Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth) - George Harrison (from 1973's "Living In the Material World" LP)
Photograph - Ringo Starr - (9/73 - a #1 single co-written with George Harrison)
* Let It Be - The Beatles (#1 single from 1970, requested by someone missing a departed loved one)
Getting Better - Gomez (1998 single - cool cover of a song from the Sgt. Pepper LP)
She Said, She Said - Gov't. Mule (1998 CD Single - cool cover of a song from Revolver)
* A Day In The Life - The Beatles (from 1967's Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band LP)
* Helter Skelter - The Beatles (from 1968's "white album." The caller considers this "the first heavy metal song.")
Taxman - Ayurveda (sizzling cover of the song from Revolver, done by a local quintet)
Day Tripper - The Beatles (3/65 - Capitol released this and "We Can Work It Out" back-to-back as a single. Killer tune!)
I Will - Tony Furtado, feat. Allison Krauss (released in 1992, one of many cool covers of this gem from Paul McCartney)
I Want To Hold Your Hand - Lakeside (1982 cool and sultry R&B treatment of the Beatles' first big US hit)
Next week: a tribute to the music of John Lennon on the anniversary of his shooting death.
WVBR is an independent, non-profit commercial radio station broadcasting from Ithaca, New York to the Counties of Tompkins, Tioga, Cortland, Cayuga, Seneca, Schuyler, and Chemung.
© Cornell Media Guild, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.